7.02.2012

Overnight Oatmeal

I'm a morning person.  I always have been.  At sleepovers in high school, I was the one sitting upstairs with the parents for hours watching the morning news while my friends all slept.

There are very few things in this world that sound more appealing to me than a cup of coffee in the quiet hours of the morning with my book of choice (this week it would be "Look Me In the Eye").


But let's be honest...those days are long gone.  I'm lucky to get 15 minutes of quiet before the kids are up and running, the dog wants to go outside and the laundry is begging to be done.  And that's on a Saturday!! 

Let's not even talk about Monday through Thursday when I'm working.  My kids have learned to give Momma her space until the coffee is going and she's had a shower (and yes...in that order).

I'm trying to be better about eating something healthy in the morning.  It really does set the tone for what the rest of my meals will end up like for the day.  Needless to say, I was so excited when I came across Overnight Oatmeal in a Jar from Amber over at Sprinkled With Flour.  This recipe is so delicious.  And you can get a work-week's worth of breakfast in one shot.  Love it!


Overnight Oatmeal
{makes approx. 6 cups}

1 2/3 cups steel cut oats
4 cups water
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups mixed berries
milk, as desired
sugar, to taste (optional)

1.  Gather your jars.  I used pint sized jars and filled them about half full.
2.  In a large pot, bring the oats, water and salt to a boil.  Simmer for about 3 minutes, then turn off heat.
3.  Ladle the oats and water into the jars.  Cover the jars tightly with lids.  Leave on the counter overnight.
4.  The next morning, put all but one jar in the refrigerator.  Take the cap off the remaining jar and stir up the oatmeal.  Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until nicely warmed.  Add in your milk, sugar and berries (or whatever toppings sound good that day).  Serve and enjoy!

{I've also eaten this cold with the milk and sugar and it was delicious as well.}


If you want to add a little extra special-ness (Yes, I know its not a word...):
Cut 4 Tbsp butter into 3/4 cups flour, 2 Tbsp brown sugar and 2 Tbsp granulated sugar.  After stirring your oats (and before heating), sprinkle a few tablespoons of crumble on top of your oats.  Place jar on a cookie sheet and bake in a 400F oven for about 10 minutes, or until crumble is toasted and oats are warm.

{Original recipe from Sprinkled With Flour}


I'm linking up with Tasty Tuesday @ Naptime Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment